Hi, fellow blues lovers! We have a lot going on during the next month… here is a list of some exciting blues events coming soon to Boise.
– Boise Blues Society is proud to present Josh Hoyer and the Shadowboxers, stopping in for one night only this Thursday, November 13, at the Sapphire Room from 6:30 – 9pm. Great soul-funk blues with plenty of brass. This is an all ages show, $7 general admission or $5 for members who purchase tickets in advance online using the emailed discount code. (Arrive early and whet your appetite with acoustic blues performed by Ev and George Hadden in the Bar365 lounge from 4:30 to 6:30.)
– Join us for our monthly Blues Jam Session this Sunday, November 9, from 3-6pm at The Drink Waterfront Bar & Grill. Musicians bring your axes, and blues fans come and enjoy a variety of local musicians performing a range of styles. Free event, all ages welcome.
– Ever thought about learning to play the harmonica or adding a few new harp licks? You’ll want to enroll in the upcoming 2-day workshop with Hamilton Loomis on November 17 and 18, from 6-9pm each evening in Nampa. You might remember Hamilton’s crowd-pleasing performances at Jo’s Sunshine and the BBS Sunday Blues festival last July. Workshop price of $60 includes a 10-hole harp and a CD.
Several local blues bands have shows coming up at the Sapphire Room. Get your tickets and more details here. A quick teaser list:
- Hoochie Coochie Men (featuring BBS President and keyboard maniac Ken Harris) on November 19,
- Blues Addicts (you may have caught their act at our Blues at the Flats events in September) with a live recording show on November 22, and
- Smooth Avenue (featuring the sweet vocals of Board Member JT Tyler) on December 31.
Smooth Avenue can also be found at AEN Playhouse (8001 Fairview) on Nov 8, Crush Wine Bar in Eagle on Nov 14, Cylos Lounge in Eagle on Nov 21, and Sockeye Grill in Boise on Nov 28.
Finally, don’t forget about the 20th Anniversary Blues Brothers Rock ‘n Soul Revue in the Mardi Gras Ballroom, tomorrow night starting at 7:30.
Come on out to a show or two and support live blues music in Boise!
BBS Board of Directors
Hi, folks. Are you ready for more live blues music? The Boise Blues Society is bringing you a whole flock of shows in the coming weeks. Come out and dance!
If you haven’t yet seen or heard the BBS Band, you have TWO chances this week:
- Monday evening (October 20) we’ll be playing during the KRBX Radiothon Fall fundraiser. Tune in to 89.9 or 93.5 at 6pm and dance at home.
Several fabulous bluesy events will heat up your November:
– Saturday Nov 8 at 7:30pm, catch the 20th Anniversary Blues Brothers Rock ‘n Soul Revue in the Mardi Gras Ballroom.
– Nov 9 from 3-6pm, spend your Sunday afternoon at The Drink enjoying a wide variety of local musicians in our Blues Jam Sessions.
– Do you love the smooth sounds of brass? Thursday, Nov 13 at 6:30pm, we are bringing the award-winning, funky, neo-soul blues band Josh Hoyer and the Shadowboxers to the Sapphire Room for one night only! This is a ticketed all-ages event; members get a discount on advance orders with the emailed discount code. Click here for more info and to purchase your tickets.
Finally, we are thrilled to report that BBS has received a $1000 grant from the City of Boise’s Arts & History Department to support our Blues in the Schools (BITS) program. We plan to continue bringing blues music into schools throughout the Treasure Valley, as well as to bars, festivals, and other events for people of all ages to enjoy.
Thanks so much for your support, and we hope to see you soon at a live blues show.
BBS Board of Directors
Boise Blues Society has received a $1000 grant from the City of Boise, Arts & History Department to support our Blues in the Schools (BITS) program. Contributions like this help us reach out to students in the Boise area.
Part of our mission to “promote and preserve blues music” includes providing musicians as coaches and performers to introduce blues music to children and adults alike. BITS, which began in 2006, is part of our outreach effort and is provided at no cost to participating schools. Through BITS, Boise Blues Society brings a taste of blues music, and the lessons that go with it, into schools.
Thank you to all who came out to hear the August 20 show by Franco Paletta and the Stingers. If you were unfortunate enough to miss it, here is a sampler video shot by Board member Ron Gardner.
Our next featured act is Chicago-based Studebaker John, who will wow us with his rockin’ harp playing, guitar riffs, and vocals at the Sapphire Room on Tuesday, September 9 at 6:30pm. This will be a ticketed event, $7 general admission and $5 for members with a discount code (check your email). You can get your tickets online here, or call 1-800-838-3006 and select option #1 (available 24/7). Unsold seats will be available for purchase at the door an hour before the event.
Coming up next weekend, Bogus Basin is hosting a music festival Saturday and Sunday August 30-31 from 1-7pm each day featuring many great local bands. Boise Blues Society Band plays from 3-3:45pm on Sunday, and we’ll have a booth there both days. This is a free, family-friendly event. If you’d like to help us out at the booth, shoot Ken Harris an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our next Blues Jam Session will be Sunday, September 14 at The Drink. The jam is always a fun time with a variety of styles, songs, and instruments. Come out and make music with us and show your support for local musicians!
Are you in the mood for another music festival? Come out to Blues at the Flats on September 19 from 5-10pm. Bring the family and blankets/chairs. You can purchase food and beverages and listen to 5 local blues acts!
Once again, thank you to those of you who recently became members or renewed your membership. We ran out of membership cards and are ordering more, so please continue to be patient and we will get them out to you ASAP! Meanwhile, you are on our email list receiving these updates, so you won’t miss any opportunities to enjoy the blues.
Keep on coming out to see live blues, and we will keep the shows coming!
BBS Board of Directors
The Boise Blues Society (BBS) is bringing Portland bluesman Franco Paletta and his band The Stingers to the Riverside Hotel’s Sapphire Room on Wednesday, August 20th, at 6:30pm.
Blues-Blast Magazine says this group will remind blues fans that the genre has different flavors. While one artist plays Piedmont-style and another Delta-style, the Stingers’ main flavors are Swing and Chicago-style blues.
Since breaking into the Portland Blues scene in the Mid-80’s, Paletta has become one of the mainstays of the city’s blues scene. His dynamic harp style and unique vocals have made him a favorite and earned him a trip to the International Blues Challenge in Memphis.
His Harmonica influences include Sonny Boy Williamson, Paul Butterfield, James Cotton and others. “There are just so many great players” Franco says, “I try to take a little from each of them! I mix’em up, and it just comes out Franco.”
Paletta’s harp playing is awesome, but his strong vocals are what thrill the listeners. He has a unique vocal style that let’s you know you are listening to a true Bluesman.
Doors will open at 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 20th. The show starts at 6:30 p.m. Admission is a suggested donation of $5.00.
Boise Blues Society is a 501 (c) (3) organization, dependent on tax-deductible contributions. Tee-shirts and hats, as well as CDs will be on sale. Proceeds support the Blues-In-The-Schools presentations which are provided free of charge for schools throughout southwestern Idaho.